External Enclosure, Where are You?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alksion, Feb 29, 2012.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I, for the life of me, cannot find a suitable enclosure to setup a new external harddrive for myself. I have seen OWC and others but do not want to buy them for a few reasons.

I do no want FW400, I definitely want 3.0 vs 2.0 for future proofing and give me all of this is an industrial 3.5" enclosure that is sturdy and reliable.

I can't believe there is literally nothing on the web like this. The closest thing I found was this and the problem is that it is only 2.5".....

http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-FireW...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330541406&sr=1-4

2. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I also want FW800.

4. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

So the real questions are: what do you want and why do you want it?
    FW800 and USB 3.0 seems a bit superfluous IMHO. And what about eSATA, Thunderbolt or even Gigabit Ethernet which is as fast as FW800.

5. PumpkinPCL macrumors newbie

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

7. alksion, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Really given the fact that it is about 10X cheaper than and thunderbolt enclosure. Plus USB we continue to be standard and people will soon buy new computers including myself that use USB 3.0, even if I choose thunderbolt later on, it's nice to have a USB 3.0 for friends or clients computers.

Nice find man! It's not the cleanest I would like aesthetically, but that should do just fine. Why does seem like there is only a 500GB version of it. Oh well, I suppose I could just sell the HDD and throw in a new one.
    --------------------------------
    Scratch that found it on Amazon! Wow thanks man, you really helped me out a lot!
    Do you have a history with these externals?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you click on the AV Drive tab there are 1, 2 and 3TB versions. The 500GB version is just clearance I think.

9. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Yeah I found it! This is exactly what I was looking for and given the 99% chance the new iMac will support USB 3.0, this is the perfect drive for me.
    Yes I know TB is better, but come on! The speed increases of USB 3.0 over FW800 is absoultely ridicouls and will suit my needs just fine.

On top of that, CalDigit is based in Orange County CA! About 20 minutes from where I live. So if anything goes wrong, a simple drive and I am dealing with an actual person infront of me... beautiful! :D

Love MacRumors for the friendly help I always receive.

----------

Placed my order! I bought the 1TB one because I have another 1TB HDD lying around, which I'll probably sell both to put towards a 2TB enterprise HDD to replace the one that came with it. Super Stoked!