External Enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMikeT, Jun 28, 2010.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Hey I'm looking into buy a couple of external enclosures. I have my eyes set on two different ones at newegg. Both are 2-bay drives and yes I am looking to make them a RAID 1 setup.

This enclosure from Vantec is the cheaper of the two and it's exactly what I'm looking for but the specs say that the enclosure only supports "Individual/JBOD/RAID 0" and nothing about RAID 1. I just wanted to know if I would be able to configure the enclosure for 2 individual drives then use Disk Utility to set up the drives for RAID 1?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392027

The second enclosure is from Icy Dock and this one says it supports RAID 1 out of the box so no worries there. It's just that this one is going for a little more than the one from Vantec and it would be great to save a few bucks if I could.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198031

Thanks in advance for any help and info.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why not to buy single 4-bay for example and make it RAID 0+1 or 5? I would get this and add your own drives but this seems to be good too

3. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks and those are very good suggestions, especially the first array. But I'm not looking to get anything that large at the moment. What I should have said in the first place is I am currently looking to buy a single 2-bay enclosure but I found two different enclosures that I could potentially buy. And like I said, I am also looking not to spend too much either.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, I just thought when you said "I'm looking into buy a couple of external enclosures" so I assumed you're buying several dual bay enclosures.

Take a look at OWC's Mercury Elite. It may not be the cheapest available but has great connectivity and enormous design. Supports RAID 1 of course

5. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks again for the suggestion but that enclosure is out of my price range. What I really need is a cheap Firewire 400/800 enclosure with room for ideally two 3.5" SATA drives. In the end I will probably just use Disk Utility to pair the two drives for RAID 1.