External enclosures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lcseds, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2006
    NC, USA
    I wanted to take the 80gb out of my new Macbook and install a 160gb. I can't find any external enclosure that has both SATA connecton on the inside (I need this right? Not a standard IDE pinout?), and firewire. Only thing I can find is USB 2 which would likely need a power supply be carried around also.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Correct, you'll need a SATA drive enclosure, Here's 2 I was looking at:

    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MSTG800U2K/


    Because they are so expensive, I ended up buying a 100GB External Western Digital Passport - it cost me less thanthe case alone (although its USB 2.0, not firewire) - but it runs off of the USB, not a power adapter.

Share This Page