External Enclosures

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by richard4339, Jan 17, 2008.

1. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm working in tech support now *cringes* and have been tasked with all of our laptop repair/reimaging for a certain branch of our company. It's not all that daunting, but it tends to keep me busy between other projects I work on.

Long story short, if I get a laptop in that is unbootable, I have to send the laptop to another division and get them to use an external enclosure to pull the data, this takes a few days (if it's even that quick), and even when they do this, they simply share it back to me so I still end up pulling the data off myself. This group does have dedicated removable devices in their lab, though, for this. My manager wants us to buy an enclosure to do the same thing, but he's asked me to figure out what to buy. I've got a couple of enclosures at home, but I use them so sparingly, I have no clue if they'd hold up for our use.

Anyway, I've seen some cables on the market now that supposedly will connect IDE and SATA devices for both your standard desktop size as well as 1.8 and 2.5 inch drives, but don't know how reliable they are.

Does anybody out there have much experience with using enclosures or any of the newer USB cable style adapters in IT environments?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

How 'bout this.. I know it's not an actual ext. case per say but it'll work .. right?