external eSATA 300 hard drive - speed question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomaz, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

Hallo

I'm thinking about using an eSATA connection to connect an external hard drive to my Macbook Pro. The idea is to install FSX on that drive an play it through Bootcamp. Can anyone of you hardware pros tell me, if a game played off an external harddrive connected through eSATA II 300 is likely to be comparable (speedwise) to a game played off an internal hard drive ? Or is the eSATA connection a bottleneck here?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Tom

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your Mac does not have eSATA port or have you modified something? eSATA is as fast as internal SATA, both are 3Gb/s (SATA II). However, a single mechanical HD cannot take advantage of the extra bandwidth so even SATA I is just fine. FireWire or even USB is just fine for games, the loading times will just be longer but the actual gaming performance should not be affected

3. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If that's the case, go ahead. As I said, eSATA is as fast as internal SATA so there shouldn't be difference in speed, it depends on the drive you're using though (likely 3.5" 7200rpm external i.e. faster than your internal)

5. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502