external/express card 5.1 sound card for Uni MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harry454, Mar 3, 2009.

1. harry454 macrumors 6502

Hey anyone know of any good external or express slot 5.1 sound cards that will work with the Uni MBP? Like one that has the front, rear, and sub inputs

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

3. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Do you have a speaker system in mind that you want to use it with? Why not just buy a 5.1 system with optical inputs and get a TOSLINK-to-mini-TOSLINK adapter on monoprice?

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Doubt you will find any express card sound cards as lots of them are USB/Firewire.

5. sal macrumors 6502

this is the second post I see someone recommend that adapter and never been able to find it, until I checked monoprice

Toslink Female to Toslink Mini Male Adapter

is that the right one?

6. nickcliborne macrumors regular

7. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Yup. With the adapter above, you just need a standard TOSLINK cable to connect the two.

Or, you could always just go with the straight miniTOSLINK to TOSLINK cable like this one:

Toslink to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm, Molded Type - 3ft

A really good 5.1 system I've been thinking about getting is the Logitech Z-5500. It's got a TOSLINK (aka digital optical) connection, so plug it directly into the digital audio port on the MBP using one of the products above and you've got digital 5.1 sound.

8. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Unless I'm missing a step someplace here, a splitter wouldn't do the job. It would be sending the same analog stereo output (2 speaker) to every set of speakers - fronts, surrounds, and sub/center.