Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harry454

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Hey anyone know of any good external or express slot 5.1 sound cards that will work with the Uni MBP? Like one that has the front, rear, and sub inputs

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Hey anyone know of any good external or express slot 5.1 sound cards that will work with the Uni MBP? Like one that has the front, rear, and sub inputs

Do you have a speaker system in mind that you want to use it with? Why not just buy a 5.1 system with optical inputs and get a TOSLINK-to-mini-TOSLINK adapter on monoprice?

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
this is the second post I see someone recommend that adapter and never been able to find it, until I checked monoprice

Toslink Female to Toslink Mini Male Adapter

is that the right one?

Yup. With the adapter above, you just need a standard TOSLINK cable to connect the two.

Or, you could always just go with the straight miniTOSLINK to TOSLINK cable like this one:

Toslink to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm, Molded Type - 3ft

A really good 5.1 system I've been thinking about getting is the Logitech Z-5500. It's got a TOSLINK (aka digital optical) connection, so plug it directly into the digital audio port on the MBP using one of the products above and you've got digital 5.1 sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.