External fan to disburse heat

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gangof4, Jul 18, 2011.

1. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

For those of you who use an external fan to keep your imac temps as low as possible; is it more important to direct the breeze towards the air intake ducts (bottom of screen) or to focus the flow where the hot air exits the imac (top left of the screen?)

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I would place a fan that blew air upwards into the back of the screen. That way you're aiding by pushing the hotter air up and also hitting both heat sinks. Kind of a weird technique.

You could cut holes in the back of the frame!!

3. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

I already cut holes in the frame Dresveski. No difference ;)

4. Dresevski macrumors 6502

How large? I was thinking it would be kinda cool to take large 2-3" diameter chunks out wherever possible. But I'm not sure the drill attachments I have access to could handle that, plus I'd need to take the computer apart again.

5. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

Not holes actually because it's hard to cut holes with a chainsaw.

(Hey--I'm from Texas)

6. thebignewt macrumors regular

This thread is a joke right? I cannot hear any fan in my almost new iMac. My PCs all had fans that I could hear, but not this badboy.

7. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

Not a joke--a serious question which took on a humorous aspect.

Because imacs tend to run hot, there have been numerous threads about safe temperatures for the hdd, the power supply, cpu, etc. Some posters said they use exterior "clip on" fans or other fans to circulate the air more around their imac in an effort to bring down the temps a bit, especially when the ambient room temperature is rather warm. This thread wonders where the breeze should be focused--where the air enters the computer or on top (left) of the computer where the case is the warmest.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

HD temps don't matter according to an extensive study done by Google. I would aim the fan underneath facing up as cooling the top would not help any components below it.

9. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

Well, I thought that aiming the flow towads the top of the screen might move the heat away from the unit quicker. So aiming towards the intake ports sort of "rams the air" a bit?

Some folks change their internal fan settings/speeds but I really don't want to mess with that.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could try various placements and use istat to monitor the temps and see what works best.

11. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

That or I thought about one of these 12-18 inch "tower" fans which might provide air to the entire left side. Either can't hurt and can only help. I'm hoping to get a good five years use out of my imac.

12. Texran macrumors regular

Just occasionally vacuum the air intakes and forget about it.

13. thebignewt macrumors regular

I like that idea. Seriously thought IS there a fan inside the unit? I sure can't hear one like I could on my PCs.

14. Texran macrumors regular

Maybe both of ours are defective, I can't hear fans either.

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Dang ... I wouldn't put any external fan for my iMac, it beats the purpose of iMac being fast and silent computer. You're getting same experience as custom built PC if you add external fan, I hope you didn't add any colorful LED and blinks to it :p

But if you insist to do it, the best way to "help" iMac cooling is put some fans below your Mac screen to blow some air, yes .. close to air intake holes, and add another fan above the screen with sucking mechanism. That would look ugly, but if you really want to circulate air quicker, that's the way it's done

16. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. There are several blower style fans. They are silent most of the time but can be heard when the system is under heavy load. They blow upwards, as you would expect.

18. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

isayusay: My fan doesn't have blinking leds, but it plays Barry Manilow music along with the best of the Hansons. Does that count as being tacky or naf enuff?