External FireWire drive for HD editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joaoferro37, Oct 6, 2008.

1. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

Guyz, I run a small video post production house and I have some problem deliver my content to my audio guy who is 500 miles away and to my clients with HD footage. I can not afford to buy firewire drive each time.Here is my set up:
    "mac pro 2.8G 8-core, 4G
    Final Cut Pro
    Editing DVCPro HD, HDV, and ProRES 422.
    AJA ioHD
    Mainly for promotion, wedding and events.

I need to archive and send the content to my audio editor and client and I can not afford to buy firewire drive every single time

2. ibigiba389 macrumors newbie

I have the same situation as yours and I used to use G-RAID and Caldigit's product. these are good drive but they are way too expensive.

One day I had a client brought me ICY DOCK drive and I'm completely satisfied with the product. I have their external four bay port multiplier unit (I forgot the model number) with highpoint controller card. The device perfect match my Mac Pro system, and I'm running RAID 5 for top 3 bays and having the fourth bay as stand alone drive, so I can transfer the data to it then send it to my video editor, I bought my editor an ICY DOCK MB559UEB - Firewire 800+ USB enclosure which is sharing the same hdd tray so once he received the drive from me, he just insert the drive and start his work.

Icydock's product with tray design really solve my problem, and I saved tons of money. So far I have purchased over 10 pcs MB559UEB and non of them got problem.

I hope this help.

3. joaoferro37 thread starter macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

I called ICY DOCK and they do pick up calls. Not much vendor pick up calls nowadays.
    I then discussed with them about the application and the flexibility that I need and it seems very promising.
    I was afraid of the transfer speed will be slow for a single drive but since I only use for transfer and data archive, the tray design will save me quite some money in the long run. All I have to do is give my audio guy the same enclosure and we can fedex the content.

I was also think if there is a solution that I can have a back up on my end since fedex may lost it or anything can happen during transportation.

any suggestions?

4. ibigiba389 macrumors newbie

@joaoferro37

I had all my backup in my RAID 5 disk (#1-#3bay). So I'm not worry about losing data. Since the single bay provide firewire 800 connection, it's fast enough for regular 7200rpm drive (did I mention it's using oxford924 chipset?)

However, the model number for 4 bay is MB561US-4S
    Single bay: MB559UEB-1S

They also provide 3 years warranty, which I didn't have a chance to use it, and hopefully I will never need it :p

5. joaoferro37 thread starter macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

Just want to make sure before I place the order with them, is the icy dock single drive enclosure gets hot like Lacie?