Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HogHunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
I have an iMac with OS X Leopard and I installed a USB and a Firewire external drive. For a while they both worked fine. Then Like a fool I tried to fix the fact that they are both name My Book. After several attempt to find a place where I can rename the volume, I gave up. However, somehow and I don't recall how, (I am a new Mac user) I lost the firewire drive. I rebooted, went into disk utility and made sure I had access to it and it came back. I really wish I could recall what happened. I didn't pay attention because I thought I was fine. Well now a few days later I realize that one drive appears as a shared folder and the other one doesn't. The firewire one does. I also cannot access the root of the drive to add folders or files. In fact, I think the whole drive appears as a read only device to me now.

Is there a way I can fix this without reformatting?

I ran diskutil info and here are the results:

Device Identifier: disk2s10
Device Node: /dev/disk2s10
Part Of Whole: disk2
Device / Media Name: Untitled

Volume Name: My Book
Mount Point: /Volumes/My Book 1
File System: HFS+
Owners: Enabled

Partition Type: Apple_HFS
Bootable: Not bootable
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: FireWire
SMART Status: Not Supported
Volume UUID: 59A1BA49-8FB0-3BB3-8677-26F47F782004

Total Size: 931.4 Gi (1000069726208 B) (1953261184 512-byte blocks)
Free Space: 407.0 Gi (436981256192 B) (853479016 512-byte blocks)

Read Only: Yes
Ejectable: Yes
Whole: No
Internal: No

HogHunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
I resolved the problem by unmounting the volume and mounting it again. Then I was able to change the read-only attributes to read-write.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.