External FireWire drive Partition Problems...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Snowy_River, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Hello everyone. I have a problem that I'm trying to sort out.

I have a 500GB WD MyBook external FireWire HD. I had it partitioned into two partitions. One was a 112 GB that I used to create backup images of the 120 GB internal drive of my PB G4 (really 111.66 GB). The other I used for other files.

Now, I decided that I wanted to start using the Backup partition for Time Machine, but in order to maintain a longer history, I wanted to increase the partition size. I figured this would be a snap with the new capabilities of Disk Utility. Unfortunately, it was not. While it is true that my pocket FireWire drive behaves exactly how I'd expect it to in DU, the 500 GB WD drive does not. I can't do anything to the partitions, in a live manner (the options, + and - buttons are all grayed out, and there is no indication of volume fill status).

In a fit of frustration, I tried deleting the backup partition. That worked, but now I just have 112 GB of free space, and I still can't do anything with it. I can't even add a 112 GB partition back into this free space.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on here, and what I can do to get things working properly? Please don't tell me that I need to reformat the entire drive. I have almost 100 GB on the other partition, and I'd need to burn all of that onto DVDs, which would be phenomenally inconvenient, not to mention a bit expensive...

2. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River