External Firewire HD - Quick question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSlave, May 3, 2009.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy an external firewire drive for video editing on my Macbook Pro. Do all external drives have two firewire ports (one to plug into the MBP, one for daisychaining or for camcorder), or do I need to be careful as to what I buy? If anyone has any recommendations, that'd be great. The bigger the capacity the better.

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think two is the default, but then again I don't know why you wouldn't check in the first place.

3. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy online, and although they all mention an firewire connection, most (if not all) don't mention if it comes with two or not.

4. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

No, they don't all come with more than one. If it doesn't say then maybe look at the picture.

Don't forget you can have FW800 and FW400

5. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for the advice. One more related question though, with the new MBPs only having one FW800, how are you supposed to connect a camcorder and a FW scratch disk??

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Daisy-chain/FireWire hub.

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You can connect the HD to the MBP via FW800 and the camcorder to the second FW port on the HD if it has one. Not FW devices come with 2 ports but it's fairly standard on HD enclosures. I think adding a FW400 device to the chain will bring the speed of the chain down to FW400 speeds though, not sure.