External Firewire HDD: Enclosure or Pre-built?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zombieflanders, Aug 26, 2007.

1. zombieflanders macrumors member

First of all: Hi! Long-time reader, etc., I made the switch back in June with the new MBPs, and I'm pretty much smitten with it. Anyway...

I've been reading a bunch of threads here and elsewhere about external HDDs, but sometimes I feel even more confused after reading than I did before. Basically, I'm looking to use my MBP (at least part of the time) as a dual-OS HTPC, including DVD and hi-def. My requirements are: FW400, 500GB or higher, compatible with (and readable by) both OSX and Vista/XP, and as reliable as possible. So, does it matter whether I buy a pre-built setup (i.e., MyBook Pro/Premium, LaCie Porsche, Seagate FreeAgent, etc.) or if I get an enclosure and stick a hard drive or two in (such as the OWC Mercury Elite, which I can also get pre-built)? Any suggestions outside of the model lines I mentioned would also be welcome.

TIA.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The OWC enclosures are a good choice. Pop a Seagate IDE 500 GB version 10 in there and you are good to go. (IDE is far cheaper).

By the way, for some reason the nonformatted ext. HD wasn't recognized on my new iMac at first. I had to connect it through firewire to my G3 iMac to format it. Then it worked fine on both computers.