External Firewire HDD options??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theimpactbadger, Feb 19, 2008.

1. theimpactbadger macrumors newbie

Hi There Guys

I switched over to Mac a few months ago, and cant believe I've never owned one before. Everything is running perfectly except Im running out of disk space.

Im using the machine to edit in FCS2, and need a extra storage space. Im looking at FW400 and 800 drives but the prices are varying vastly. Due to budgeting constraints, here are my options:

1) Reputable brand (seagate, WD, Lacie) FW 400 drive of roughly 750G or 1TB
    - might be to slow

2) Reputable brand FW800 drive of roughly 500 gigs
    - worried this might be to small

3) Wait and save to buy a big FW800 drive of 1.5TB to 2TB
    - very expensive, might be overkill

Options 1 and 2 are affordable right now but I have my concerns regarding both. Option 3 sounds awesome but that be lots of $$$.

If I buy a FW800 drive of say 320 - 500G can I take it apart and upgrade it to larger capacities. This might be the best solution, if its at all possible. Are any of the brands upgradable??

What brands should I buy, Seagate and WD are priced better but Lacie seems to be what everyone is always talking about??

Apologees for my endless ramblings but any input will be greatly appreciated

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd go the FW 800 route, but buy the biggest drive you can - Iomega do a dual 500 which you could either use as RAID 1 or just as two separate 500gb drives. Brand is relatively unimportant, though - I have a LaCie drive, which is fine and another where I just put a drive in a cheap enclosure I bought on eBay. Both are 100% reliable.