External FW800 Bus powered Boot Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeeEss, Oct 26, 2011.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

After much frustration I have found out the my G-Tech G-RAID Mini will not boot my Macbook Pro C2D 2.4 (non uni-body) with FW800. It will only work with USB2 whilst plugged in with the AC Adapter. Apparently it will boot some, it boots my Mac Pro but not this particular Macbook Pro. Damn it.

So I'm looking for a bus powered FW800 Drive that I will be able to boot from. I'm sure there are loads that will work, has anybody tried a particular drive and succeeded for sure? Bearing in mind this is for an older 15" 2.4 C2D mbp (nub).

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a bus powered drive that you can boot from. Not saying it won't work, I know from experience that it tends to be under powered and not very reliable

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I've used the Seagate GoFlex for boot drives, firewire, USB, eSATA. You can get a low end drive and swap the internals for an SSD if you need performance.

4. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Start your computer without the drive in question and after holding the option key to get the choice at boot, plug in your drive but only then. It might appear in the choices now and if it does, choose it and boot up.

5. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a USB2 bus powered drive that runs it perfectly fine. Albiet slower, but acceptable. FW800 would obviously work better though.

Cheers, did you boot from this disk OK?

Yeah, tried that many times. I spent 2 days trying EVERY suggestion under the sun. THen Hitachi hot back to me and said that basically won't boot from that computer. It will only boot some computers. Works on my Mac Pro for example even with Bus power. I also know it works on a couple of the unibody mbp's. Just not mine. Typical.