External game hardware for Mac Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmass777, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jmass777 macrumors newbie

Somewhere I saw a notice about the upcoming release of third-party game hardware for the Mac Air - an external box that includes a graphics card - but no mattter what I Google I can't find the name.

Does anyone know the name or manufacturer of this hardware?

thanks

2. jmass777 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. komoornik macrumors regular

Big? You would like it to be slimmer , so you couldn't put a decent graphics card in there?

4. castillo4141 macrumors member

This is a better use for the ThunderBolt connection than just file transfer, if this kind of hardware keeps developing, the so called "planned obsolescence" will be affected, but I guess that will be good in the long run for the ones that keep their machines for some time....besides...desktop graphic power without the need of a another computer - desktop PC - will be awesome for a gamer! The CPUs on the MBP are already good enough for most professionals and gamers, with a professional GPU it will be a complete package.:D

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

When (and if) they finally release the box, it is certain to be expensive, like $400 for the box with no graphics card. Add on a graphics card plus an external monitor (since it won't help the built in display) and you might as well just by a dedicated gaming machine.

Plus someone will have to write drivers for it, and this is not trivial.

6. komoornik macrumors regular

Village is saying about 250$ for the box if there will be enought pre orders.

And there are actually drivers avaliable now - especially for nVidia.

They're using Optimus technology and you can use built in display, but with a little cut to the performance.

Of course we're talking about Windows here - but that's pretty obvious if you want to do some real gaming.