External GPU enclosure with Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laurent05, Jan 23, 2012.

1. laurent05 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently found this on the web.
    I'm really a noob in computer hardware, but is this enclosure powerfull enough to handle for example a HD6950?

If so, this would really pull the trigger for me getting a 13" mbp.

Thx in advance.

2. dusk007, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I guess a 6950 would be a bit limited by the connection.
    It is not PCIe x16 nor x8 that a 6950 gets on any desktop mainboard. It is more like x4 or even less like x2.5
    Depending on the game and how much it streams of the interface it has a huge impact or a small one.
    I would still say it is reasonable to put something up to a 6850/70 or a Nvidia 560 Ti into such a box. Beyond that it is just a waste of money and energy and limited too much. That is the highest I would go but for 1280x800 screen less ist probably still more than good enough.
    Still such a desktop class GPU will crush even the highend Notebook GPUs unless the slow thunderbolt connection limits in certain engines. Usually if there is a lot of texture streaming that is the case as it is with Microsoft Filght Simulator or the Call of Duty engine also relies greatly on the PCIe speed.

PS: Did you read the 150W limit? That sort of limits the range of GPUs that work anyway and excludes a 6950.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't believe the full specs are out yet, which means nobody really knows the answer to your question. I do know that it's currently windows only.

Buying a laptop to tether it to a desk with such a thing which will cost the dock + the graphics card in it kind of defeats the purpose of buying a laptop in the first place.

For that amount of money you could've built quite the gaming rig, but that's just me.

4. ELA2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Doubt if they will support this but something similar is coming to the 2012 MacBook pro lineup. The line between air and pro will be no different other than the fact that with the pro you'll be able to take advantage of something like this.