External Graphics and RAM upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rayzman18, Aug 1, 2013.

1. rayzman18 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro from late 2011. All specs are stock. I had 2 questions about potential upgrades, RAM and external graphics card and graphics card reader. I know upgrading RAM is not too complicated, however I am dual booted and was wondering what I would have to do for newly installed RAM to function on Windows 7. In addition I was wondering If any of you know anything about external graphics card readers, ie. compatibility, good brands, cost, that sort of thing. I figure both of these topics have to do with upgrades and are appropriate in the same thread.

2. Laco macrumors 6502

The newly installed ram should function automatically. As for the external video card dock. The most popular brand is ViDock http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock. I though about this kind of upgrade but then I decided that it was too expensive. The dock alone is $200 dollars or more plus you will need a video card which is going to be a few hundred dollars by itself. For that price it makes more sense just to sell the old computer and buy a new Macbook Pro. Well that's at least what I decided.