External Hard Disk problem :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by walesjamesjames, Feb 24, 2008.

1. walesjamesjames macrumors newbie

I have used the external drive on Mac for ages.

I tried to connect it today and it seems to be in Windoes NTFS format. if I try and drag files from MAC into it it says 'The Item 'example.doc' (my file) could not be moved because 'Unititled'(The HD name) cannot be modified.

If I click 'get info' it says under the 'format' heading - 'Windows NT filesystem'

How can I get it to work with Mac again?

Explain in good detail because I am not computer minded!!

many thanks,

2. natteaap macrumors member

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

I had two windows PC's and switched to mac. But the Hard drives contain much information that I want to keep. Music, video's, reason files, cubase files to try to input in Logic, etc ...
    So I got it out of the PC and installed it in a external box (conceptronics) to use it as an external drive.

The problem is that I can read all the information on the external disc, I can get the information of this disc onto my internal harddrive, but i can't change anything. I can not move info from one folder to another, I can't write on it ... only read and move stuff off this external disc.

My guess is that it is because this was first used under windows XP.

Would formatting this external drive do the trick. I have aprox 200 Gb on this disc, but I will find a solution on how to get it out of it before the format if it will solve the problem.

If this does not do the trick, can anyone help us with this, because it would save me a lot of money if i didn't have to buy new harddrives and where able to use the (not so) older ones.

Thanx

Bart

3. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

you will have to reformat the disk, other than that i have no idea what you can do

4. natteaap macrumors member

allright, that's a tough one, but at least I know what to do. Now to find a way to store 200 Gigs of por... eh valuable data before the format ;o)
    Thanx silver-fox.
    I will wait another week or so, maybe somebody knows a trick or two that can get things fixed without the format. You never know.

5. bxcrrcr macrumors newbie

Hi

I was having this problem as well.

Maybe you should try this app out :
    Paragon NTFS

NTFS for Mac® OS X allows you to:

* Natively read and write your data to any Windows NTFS partition.
    * Easily transfer data between Windows and Mac® computers using external or thumb drives with NTFS partitions.
    * Access NTFS partitions without having any complex translation applications or file services like AFP or Samba protocols.

all the best!

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just tried and bought that app. It works great!

7. jason999 macrumors member

NTFS for Mac® OS X
    Paragon NTFS for Mac® OS X beats down the barriers between Windows and Mac® OS! Effectively solves the communication problems between the Mac® system and NTFS. Providing full read&write access to Windows NTFS partitions under Mac® OS X.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/