External Hard Disk Question- cost/features

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by number9, Jan 2, 2009.

1. number9 macrumors 6502

I realize that there are lots of threads on Hard Disk questions, but I couldn't really decide based on the other threads, so here it goes...

I just ordered the LaCie eSATA, FireWire 400 & Hi-Speed USB 2.0 1 TB external for $147 and saw the Fantom USB 2.0/eSATA 1 TB external on buy.com for $89.99 after a $40 mail in rebate.

Do you think the Firewire option and the name brand ( I realize LaCie doesn't make the actual hard disk) is worth the extra money over the USB 2.0/eSATA only Fantom one? I amusing it as the drive for a CarbonCopy back up and as storage for my media, so it will get used for periodic back ups and media play back. I assumed firewire 400 would be better for this than USB 2.0.

What do you all think?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you made the right choice; Firewire is really nice for large transfers.

3. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just what I needed to hear. The cost really isn't an issue for me, but I figured I'd ask any way...no sense in spending the money if it didn't make any sense. But I'd rather have the option of the FW. Thanks for the input

4. Big Dave macrumors 6502

firewire is hot

+1 on Firewire. It is fast with good bandwidth and you can chain it.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Well, personally, I think that's very funny! :D