External hard disks and sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sui.page, Jun 29, 2012.

1. sui.page macrumors member

Is it convention to eject external hard disks before putting a macbook into sleep mode? I noticed when i don't do this the light on my external hard drive continues blinking. It isn't powered by the way

2. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

It will eventually go to sleep as well. There is no need to eject them before shutting the clamshell or going to sleep.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your Mac is in sleep mode, the drive won't be working, so it should spin down. If there is read/write activity, that indicates your Mac isn't in sleep mode.

For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

4. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

Externals act somewhat different when it comes to this. It depends on the interface bridge and sleep feature of the external drive. it's usually a safer bet to unmount before putting the computer to sleep.

5. sui.page thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't go to sleep at all. The lights been blinking for an hour still.

----------

I've noticed the light on the hard drive dims down and doesn't blink so im guessing it isn't active in sleep mode. I just thought that it the light would be completely off. I've uninstalled gfxcardStatus and it's still the same though...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The light probably indicates the drive is powered on, which is different than being idle. It doesn't hurt anything if the drive still has power, but isn't in use. Ejecting a drive doesn't power it down.

7. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

yea i have a question too, sometimes i use a usb powered cooling pad but i want the cooling pad to turn off when the macbook goes to sleep, is that possible?
    sorry to highjack the thread but seems related.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I've got a Western Digital My Passport Essential that goes to sleep with my MacBook Pro, when it's sleeping the activity light blinks a bit faster then the MacBook Pro but pretty close to the same rhythm. When it's reading or writing the blinking is at a faster rhythm.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If something is bus-powered, the only way to turn it off is to unplug it, unless it has a power switch on it.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That will unmount them, but it won't power them off.

11. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

yea thanks thats what i though.

12. sui.page thread starter macrumors member

I've just noticed even when i unmount the external hard drive it still drains a considerable amount of my battery. I guess my only option is to just unplug it. I also used the Jettison program suggested.

I've just been used to my Windows laptop. When i put it into the equivalent 'hibernate' mode the hard drive completely turns off.