Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterPhotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
I was working on my MacBook Pro editing wedding files, when the USB cable became disconnected. Now I am unable to copy files from my desktop to that hard drive.

I went to disk utilities, and when click on the hard drive all the options under first aid are grayed out.

I use this hard drive to move files back and forth between my MacBook Pro and a Windoze desktop. PLEASE HELP!!!!

David

MasterPhotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
I can access the drive via my windows desktop, and I've tried rebooting and doing a complete shut down.

The other issue, is that I was processing files in Lightroom 5, an all my adjustments, including removed files are no longer registering. It's like I wasted 6 hours! :mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can access the drive via my windows desktop, and I've tried rebooting and doing a complete shut down.

The other issue, is that I was processing files in Lightroom 5, an all my adjustments, including removed files are no longer registering. It's like I wasted 6 hours! :mad:
I'm assuming the drive is formatted as NTFS. What did you install on your Mac to be able to write to that drive, since OS X can't natively write to NTFS drives. Or is the drive in FAT32 or exFAT format?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Hmmm, it maybe that the drive was writing to a critical area of its file table when disconnected (that is why systems issue warnings to not disconnect when the drive is being written to). If so maybe only a format will recover it.

Better ways to share files to avoid this, Dropbox etc, Sharing a drive or folder etc - would none of those work for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.