External hard dive will not accept files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MasterPhotog, Aug 19, 2014.

1. MasterPhotog macrumors newbie

I was working on my MacBook Pro editing wedding files, when the USB cable became disconnected. Now I am unable to copy files from my desktop to that hard drive.

I went to disk utilities, and when click on the hard drive all the options under first aid are grayed out.

I use this hard drive to move files back and forth between my MacBook Pro and a Windoze desktop. PLEASE HELP!!!!

David

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried restarting your Mac? Have you tried accessing the drive from Windows?

3. MasterPhotog thread starter macrumors newbie

I can access the drive via my windows desktop, and I've tried rebooting and doing a complete shut down.

The other issue, is that I was processing files in Lightroom 5, an all my adjustments, including removed files are no longer registering. It's like I wasted 6 hours! :mad:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm assuming the drive is formatted as NTFS. What did you install on your Mac to be able to write to that drive, since OS X can't natively write to NTFS drives. Or is the drive in FAT32 or exFAT format?

5. MasterPhotog thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using a program that I downloaded from tuxera.com.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've read reports of problems with Tuxera. You might try Paragon NTFS for Mac. I've used it for years with no problems. Of course, that's not a guarantee that the format or the NTFS software is the source of the problem, but it's worth a shot.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Hmmm, it maybe that the drive was writing to a critical area of its file table when disconnected (that is why systems issue warnings to not disconnect when the drive is being written to). If so maybe only a format will recover it.

Better ways to share files to avoid this, Dropbox etc, Sharing a drive or folder etc - would none of those work for you?