External Hard Drive Advices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kwong2006, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

My LaCie rugged hard drive was recently fried by a friend of mine, and I am looking for a new hard drive.

Before I buy a new one, however, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to recover the data on the hard drive? My vacation videos from Spain and Port. are in there.

Also, which brands are the best to buy? I've read that G-Technology, OWC, and LaCie are good brands. With my bad luck with LaCie products lately (fried Rugged, and a power brick failure with my old D2 Quadra), I am kind of leery about buying from LaCie again.

2. andrema2 macrumors member

I have a similar doubt. I was think about buying My Book II from Western Digital or Iomega Ultramax Plus with 2 disks. I have already 2 cases using USB ports with 1.5 tb each. I would like to move these disk to the new enclosure (one of the above) and use the disks as fw800. The original disks would be used for backup on the USB cases.

The doubt is does these models support disks from different brands ? I think that for Iomega won't be a problem since they don't produce HD, but for WD I'm not sure.

Anyone has experience with those models ?

Thanks

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've had a Lacie die on me and a g-tech which took about 1.5 months to repair (died 3 months after purchase) because Hitachi and g-tech were having an ultimate Frisbee tournament.

Whatever you get, just have backups. And make sure your backups aren't on a lacie :D

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Sorry to hear that, kwong!

I've had nothing but success with the seagate freeagent! I even used the seagate drive in my TC, that is, before it died!

I'd see if there are any computer repair stores that provide data recovery.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple: