External hard drive and Bluray drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Richdmoore, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I just has a WD mybook (hooked to my airport express) fail to read and making weird sounds. I'm pretty sure the drive is dead. I am planning to move another WD drive I have over to the airport express, and purchase another to replace it. I was looking at both FireWire and USB types. Any suggestions?

Another topic is that I want to convert my Bluray to 1080p apple tv 3 files. I need to pick up a Bluray drive (reader or reader/writer). Any suggestions for that device? FireWire or USB?

If it matters, I have a 2011 iMac I am goIng to encode with.

2. urkel macrumors 68030

I just started ripping my BluRays for AppleTV. I couldn't believe how easy it was. The drive I got was the LG CP40NG10 which is a USB drive and costs about $100. I just use MakeMKV to create the MKV file and then Handbrake using the AppleTV2 preset to make it a 720p file. For me, the reason I pick 720p over 1080p is because I also use the files on my iPad and 1080p file size isn't worth it for the little visible difference over 720p.

3. drgrafix macrumors regular

That doesn't sound like a bad drive. Just out of curiosity can you back up a 3D DVD with it or is that technology over the rainbow LOL?

Doc

4. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Thanks. I went with a $80 USB slim Bluray drive on amazon.

I decided to do 1080p to future proof the files somewhat, I am hopIng to go all digital with my movie files in the future to prevent clutter.