External Hard Drive and iMovie Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by coachingguy, Oct 21, 2008.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I've searched the site and I've not found anything on this. My hard drive on my MBP has filled up with high school football video. I'd like to get a external hard drive to store my video on, and have iMovie access it and store it there.

I'm certain this is possible, but have not been able to found out how it's done. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Coachingguy

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

hmmm... I don't use iMovie (i don't even bother installing it) so i'm not 100% sure but you could check in the applications preferences... or even option-click the application and select where your library is stored (like directing iTunes to a different library).

3. GilesM macrumors 6502

you need a firewire drive...

I have done this because I did not want my AVCHD footage filling up my hard drive.
    I first tried to use a USB connected drive, but iMovie would not 'see' the drive.
    So I bought a firewire (800) hard drive.
    Now iMovie works nicely with this drive, once connected just save your imovie projects, imports and resultant exported files files on the firewire drive.

I have confirmed with Apple that iMovie will not work with an external drive unless it is firewire connected due to the limits on transfer speed associated with USB 2.It is just too slow apparently!

Now, If I launch iMovie without the drive being powered up, then my project or events 'space' in iMovie is blank, once I turn the drive on, they all appear in the appropriate locations.

So, to summarise, you can do it, but you need a firewire connected drive.