External Hard drive and time machine help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by misty7700, Jul 4, 2010.

1. misty7700 macrumors newbie

So...

Notes:
    I'm using a Macbook Pro.
    I had about 290 movies and tv shows.

I was trying to move all of my movies on to my external hard drive and I copied all of them (took two hours) on there. Then I deleted all but three of them off my computer and emptied the trash. I then look back at my hard drive's files and they aren't there!!! The only thing that was there was the 3 files.

But I also have time machine saved to update my external hard drive. It did and I can see the previous computer times/events/whatever you want to call it. I go to Hard drive>backups.backupdb>My Mac Book Pro>2010-05-04>Macintosh HD>Users>Me>Movies which only shows my iMovie library. I do the same thing but with Music>iTunes>iTunes media>movies to which only one file shows up!!!!

Please, please help me.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you can see the files in the backups.backupbundle then thats great! copy them from there to your old location! that should be it

3. misty7700 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

of course you can lol. you can do anything to your mac!

go to the external hard drive, then the backupbundle, find the directory with the movies in it. then open a new Finder window and set that to the desktop. go back to the bundle window, copy the movies, paste into the desktop.

does that work?

5. misty7700 thread starter macrumors newbie

I reread my original post and it is very confusing. What I meant to say was I can't find the files.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oohhhh right. sorry - im with you now. so your saying they are NOT in the backupbundle? hmm

i wonder why they do not appear on the external hard drive. very confusing

at this stage it is probably best to assume the worst and it might be an idea to invest in some software to recover deleted files.