External hard drive and time machine issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eggs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. eggs macrumors newbie

I recently bought a Macally G-350SUA enclosure and Western Digital 1TB hard drive to use with time machine (and other things). When I turn it on it works fine, but after a while weird things happen. it seems like the hard drive sleeps and then won't wake up.

Sometimes when I get on the computer the time machine icon in the menu bar is spinning and says "Preparing back up" and I see that the last back up was a long time ago (days). Other programs will act weird. Namely, System Preferences I can open the first time and it works fine, but when I close it the icon stays in the doc and it won't get focus again. It won't quit if I try Force Quit or even if I do a kill -9 in the terminal. Sometimes Finder will act weird as well and I can't shut down the computer until I turn off the external hard drive. If I turn the external drive off and turn it on again everything works fine.

Is this an issue that just happens with Time Machine sometimes (if I leave TM turned off everything works fine) or is there an issue with the enclosure?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

make the sure the HD is formatted properly. When I use an enclosure with the HD formatted for windows....it causes all kinds of problems.

3. eggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Its formated as: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID Partition Table.

When I do verify disk it says everything is cool, but if I do the verify while the Time Machine icon is spinning it says that the HD could not be unmounted.

4. eggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking at system.log in Console.app I see this when it starts the back up:

Nov 19 13:27:57 justyn-hunters-imac kernel[0]: IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00::setPowerState(0xd54c400, 1 -> 4) timed out after 100112 ms