External Hard drive as Internal hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jperez51, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jperez51 macrumors newbie

I have a WD My Passport 320gb external hard drive that broke on me (connection for cable came loose) and i haven't been able to fix it. I was wondering if instead of trashing it, can i use it as an extra internal hard drive in my MBP core 2 duo? (aluminum body) And if i can, how do i go about doing that?

Thanks

2. unixperience macrumors regular

you can use it as an extra internal heres a kit i was GOING to buy (note i never actually installed two harddrives because i could not raid them with a bootcamp partition, and I need bootcamp. two harddrives work with bootcamp, there are only problems when you try to do a raid setup) http://www.ebay.com/itm/290567284375?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649

its cheap and from reviews seems to work fine. basically you remove your cd drive, and put that adapter in its place and plug in the drive, thats about all there is to it. Having two spinning drives in your comp draws a lot of power and will shorten battery life, so you have to be clever with what files you store on the second drive. thus you can turn it off when not in use, and only turn it on when you get data from it.

another option is to just get a new harddrive enclosure. a quick search on ebay led me to this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-2-5...ge_Internal&hash=item2313719cdc#ht_1674wt_890
    of course you can get all these thigns (include 2nd hdd caddy) from mroe respectable place, such as macsales.com or newegg.com or many other sites, but I like ebay

3. Jperez51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the info.

You mentioned I can turn it off (the secondary drive). How exactly would I do that? And would running the two hard drives be a danger for the heat on the MBP aluminum body? I don't do too much heavy duty work with it and I have SMC fan control installed so my temperature when I'm surfing the web and doing some light work usually stays around 48 deg Cel. which is pretty good i hear.

4. Jperez51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, how would i go about installing it from external to internal and how can i identify if my external is compatible to my MBP?