External Hard Drive- Backup Purposes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mem, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Mem macrumors member

Hi folks,

With my Powerbook approaching the 3-year mark, I've been on the lookout for an external hard drive in the event that anything should happen to it. I've always backed up important files, etc. on CDs, but I'm planning on making on a full backup with SuperDuper in the event anything should go wrong. I found one that looked good on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Limite...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185575586&sr=8-1) for a good price and went for it.

As I was telling someone about it they warned me that since it connects via USB and not Firewire, I won't be able to boot from it.

Is it worth returning it and looking for a HD with firewire capability? My problem lies within the fact that I don't know exactly what I'm preparing for- will I need the ability to boot from this external harddrive in the event anything were to happen, or are just having the files enough?

Please advise. Thank you.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, go back and get a Firewire drive. Being able to boot from your backup drive is very handy in the event that something (namely the internal drive) goes wrong. :)