External hard drive being a jerk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sampv92, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Sampv92 macrumors newbie

Sampv92

So I've had a passport drive for a few years now. It's a terabyte, and I've never come close to filling it. All that's on there right now are two or three back-ups, some movies, and a ton of pictures.

Lately my MacBook has been running slow, so I moved some files over and deleted some stuff. I use Disk Inventory X to organize my files on my Mac, and when I opened it, it showed that my external hard drive only had 19.4GB free. Meaning I had used 931.2GB...?!

Whenever I try using Disk Inventory X on the external, it just loads infinitely, but it still works on my Mac hard drive.

Just now, I clicked on "About This Mac" -> "Storage" and it showed that my backups, photos, and videos are taking up a minuscule amount of space. It says that "other" is taking up 848.97GB of space on my external. I don't know how to figure out where that's coming from because all of my files look normal, and I can't get Disk Inventory X to open and show me anything weird I might have missed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I'm stumped.

Attached Files:

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Well, first and foremost I would rush and buy a new hard drive to backup your photos onto.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

When you say "two or three back-ups", what do you mean? Back-ups of what?