external hard drive bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mac109876, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mac109876 macrumors newbie

so im picking up a new 2tb external hard drive today for my new retina mbp ( see other thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15165007&posted=1#post15165007 ) obviously more space will make setting up bootcamp easier. im really a rookie though and have no clue what im doing lol. i plan on wanting to use windows vista and mainly use it to play games like battlefield. can someone help me out as to what i need to do with the drive and stuff? thanks :)

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I'm not sure it's possible to boot it from that, but you never know. I myself haven't tried.
    If it is however I would recommend that you partition the drive into two partitions. One 'Windows' and the other 'Files' so you could have say 1Tb for the OS and a spare 1TB for files that would appear as another hard drive. If that makes any sense to you;)

3. gamerish macrumors member

From what I know, it's only possible to boot from external thunderbolt hard drives like the LaCie or using an extra SSD with a Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter.