External Hard Drive converted to internal?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeuceDeuce, May 19, 2008.

1. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Is this possible.

I want to "convert" my 500gb WD My Book Premium Edition to work in my mac pro.

Basically, does anyone know how I can find out if the drive is a SATA drive in the enclosure without taking it apart?

Oh yeah, I would then want to put my 320gb that came with my Mac Pro in the enclosure to use as an Air Disk.

Edit:

I just decided to take apart the MyBook and it was indeed a SATA drive. Already did the swap and so far everything is working perfect!

BTW, those Apple drives are very loud comparwd to the WD drives. Holy crap that sucker is loud in the My Book Enclosure. Its a segate 350gb drive...

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well the hard drive in the My Book is either IDE or SATA and the Mac Pro only has SATA hard drive trays so if its IDE it wont work.

as for the 320GB hard drive in your Mac Pro you would have to get a SATA to USB 3.5" external enclosure.

3. balk macrumors member

Plug your MyBook in and open Disk Utility. Read out the disk description and maybe there is a product identifier. Use google to find the specs belonging to it. It might work.

4. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I just decided to take apart the MyBook and it was indeed a SATA drive. Already did the swap and so far everything is working perfect!

BTW, those Apple drives are very loud comparwd to the WD drives. Holy crap that sucker is loud in the My Book Enclosure. Its a segate 350gb drive...