external Hard Drive "crashed"; still use it or demand replacement from LaCie?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by redsteven, Jun 11, 2011.

1. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Not sure if I'm using the right terminology, since maybe it wasn't a "crash", but here's what happened.

I got a LaCie Rikiki Go 1 TB external USB drive a little over a month ago. All was well until yesterday. Yesterday morning everything was fine. Ejected it from the Finder and then unplugged it, and went to school.
    When I got back home I plugged it back into my macbook pro... and was met with a wonderful message:
    So I tried the other USB port... no luck.
    Tried a different cable... no luck
    Tried a different macbook pro (my girlfriend's)... no luck.

In disk utility, the "hardware" line was visible, "1 TB TOSHIBA MK1059GSM Media", but there were no lines under that for partitions. I erased the drive and zero'd it out (I figure that should be an adequate test of writing errors, right?)

Should I repartition it and go back to using this drive for backups?

Or should I contact LaCie and ask them to replace it because I don't trust it to keep my data safe.

I'm hoping somebody else out there with a better understanding of spontaneous hard drive failures could explain exactly what kind of event could cause a failure like that to happen... the drive was never exposed to shock or trauma or EM radiation or magnets or anything.... it lives a very sedentary life sitting on my desk at home.

2. redsteven thread starter macrumors 6502a

redsteven

For anyone who come's upon this thread in the future, here's the CORRECT advice.

DON'T trust the drive.

It "crashed" again 3 days later (this afternoon). Suddenly it can't be read anymore, and has to be initialized. It's going back to LaCie

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

How old is the drive? All hard drive will just die, they wont last for ever.. Too many moving parts.

4. redsteven thread starter macrumors 6502a

redsteven

^^^ about 5 weeks

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ah, then it is probably faulty. Contact them for a replacement.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

And remember, LaCie doesn't make drives. They get drives from the major drive manufacturers such as Seagate.

I have a Lacie two big tripple drive that still works today. It originally came with two Seagate drives which died about two years later. I replaced them with Western Digital drives and I'm still using them today.

7. redsteven thread starter macrumors 6502a

redsteven