External hard drive deal for college?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by opik, Jul 22, 2007.

1. opik macrumors member

I'm getting ready to start college as freshmen this fall and doing some tech shopping. I have a iBook G4 with 60GB of hard drive and I am interested in getting an external hard drive for back up of documents. What is the best deal out there today? I have no specific size in mind but I wish to get a good value for the buck.

(Will Leopard and Time Machine work on my iBook?)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Time machine should work on your iBook. What's your budget? You could get a good USB 160GB external hard drive from Frys for $50.

3. opik thread starter macrumors member

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If all you plan on using it for is to backup your laptop hard drive, USB 2.0 should suffice.

5. opik thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. For what sort of situations will the firewire be needed?

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If you were say editing video and using an external hard drive as a "scratch disk" to store and access the source footage.

7. supafly1703 macrumors regular

External Booting?

Is it possible to boot from a external USB drive? I thought only Firewire drives could do that...

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

since the switch ALL of the intel macs support both USB2.0 and FW startup. nify aye :)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah but the OP has an iBook G4. Some of the late PPC could boot of USB but it is very hit and miss, so i would go for firewire. Losts of drives come with Both USB and firewire and a slight increase in cost.

If you wanted a fully bootable backup then you need to get a firewire drive.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh i spose i should read... sorry...

yea the firewire drive is highly recommened then...that and the faster speeds, if you need it.

11. opik thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone have a model in particular that they recommend?

12. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Another way to consider going would be with an NAS (Network Attached Storage).

I'm starting to hear reasonably good things about the LaCie 'Ethernet' products.

The 500GB is $210, which is only $100 more than a bare 500GB drive costs you...a very good deal for a NAS appliance.

What should be nice about this approach is that if I understand their documentation correctly, one should be able to get it all set up so that its available over your network and be able to attach to it wirelessly. I'm still reading through the details to see if this is indeed correct before buying one myself (although I'll probably spring for the 1TB version for $320).

-hh

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pre-built ones id go La-Cie or maxtor..

if u make one urself def get a segate or western digital harddrive

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What is your budget? It would be no use recommending you one that you can't afford.

15. opik thread starter macrumors member

16. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

personally I have a couple of recommendations on the external hard drive front.

a few months ago I picked up a Western Digital 500GB My Book External Hard Drive @ Best Buy for $120, and that was before coupons and Reward Zone stuff.

or you could go with INOi's Media Tank. Essentially the Media Tank is a 320GB HD, 18x DVD+/-RW Burner, 6-in-1 card reader (CF I/II, MD, SD, MMC, MS/MS PRO).

I have both units currently plugged into my PowerBook G4 and really do enjoy both of them. Now if Belkin would hurry the hell up with the Mac drivers for their Network USB Hub I'd be an insanely happy man :p

17. AbsenceOfTruth macrumors regular

I got a 750GB external Seagate drive with firewire for only $190 the other day!!! It was from costco!!!! :D

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can get this external hard drive for $110 and it's a 500GB hard drive. Or you can get this 500GB LaCie external hard drive for $120. Or you can build an external hard drive for a little more than your budget that has FireWire, USB/FireWire case and 500GB hard drive.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

MyBooks are amazing i have the MyBook Pro

and you should definately use firewire.