External Hard drive delay on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mark J., Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mark J. macrumors newbie

Hi.

I've had a Western Digital hard drive for about 2 years now. For the last 6 months or so I've experienced delays in iTunes. Sometimes, when it switches to a new track, there's a delay for about 20 seconds. iTunes freezes until the hard drive responds (I guess). Also, if if I try to edit the tags of longs-lasting tracks or mixes it takes even longer for it to respond.
    I have no idea why this is happening. It never did like this before.

Can someone help please?

Regards, Mark.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Umm, do you think maybe the hard drive is failing?

3. Mark J. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm afraid so. But I wanted to make sure if something else could be causing the problem before I buy another one :)

4. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

I was experiencing the same thing when i updated to iTunes 9, but it seems to have disappeared since updating to 9.0.2 maybe that could be your problem?

5. Mark J. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, and thanks for your response.

I thought that an iTunes update might have been the problem but I've 9.02 installed as well :/

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Might disk sleep have been enabled? What you described sounds normal if iTunes has to wait for a sleeping drive to spin back up.

7. Mark J. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

A friend of mine suggested that this might be the problem actually.. but how do I disable disk sleep? If it's on I've enabled it by accident.