External Hard drive detected and working fine on Windows but not on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azizj, Aug 19, 2012.

1. azizj macrumors newbie

I have a WD My passport 500GB HDD and it works fine on windows but when I plug it to my Macbook it powers up but I can't see it, I trued going to Disk Utility and I still couldn't see it and I downloaded and Installed Tuxera NTFS, and it's still not showing up, please help me, most of my stuff are in this Hard drive and I really needed to work without formatting it!

2. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

Try MacFuse with NTFS-3G!! And make sure that your drive really is formatted as NTFS.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you notice that the OP is using Tuxera?
    Did you format it on Windows, or with the Mac?

4. azizj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am using Tuxera and it still does not detect it.

I have been using it on my windows PC for a quite some time now and it's still working fine on it, I formatted on Windows and I confirmed that it's format it NTFS.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to try uninstalling Tuxera completely, then try Paragon.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. azizj thread starter macrumors newbie

Removed Tuxera using your method, restarted and tried Paragon, same result, it's not getting detected not in Paragon nor in Disk Utility.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd look to the connection cables and ports as a possible source. Try other cables or other ports, or both.

8. azizj thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried out the ports and they are working fine (plugged in an iPhone and it was detected on iTunes and I tried syncing it) It could be from the cable but I highly doubt because I just tried plugging the drive on windows again and it works perfectly. But I'll give it a shot.

9. azizj thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay this is funny, the hard disk's cable works with another hard disk from the same brand but not the one I want to use, but when I try another cable with the one I want to use it works fine, I switched up the cables and it's working fine now. What a weird problem, thank you all for your help!