External Hard Drive doesn't exist

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kenya, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Kenya macrumors regular

Kenya

I've searched the Forums and can't find an answer anywhere. :confused:

I installed Leopard to my MacBook Pro CD and now my portable Iomega drive is not showing up in the finder. It is also not showing uo in Disk Utility or the Terminal. I tried restaring and shutting down to no avail. I hear the drive whirring and the green light is on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!!

2. Kenya thread starter macrumors regular

Kenya

I've searched the discussion boards at Apple and even called Apple Tech Support with no luck. The csr had me reinstall Leopard as an Archive + Install, take out the battery and reset, and run Disk Utility and none of that helped.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks.

ETA: My drive is a USB Iomga portable drive.

3. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem. Re-launching the Finder fixed it for me.

4. Kenya thread starter macrumors regular

Kenya

Tried that but it didn't work. Thank you for the suggestion.

5. Joe323 macrumors newbie

I have a WD MyBook USB drive that Leopard was not recognizing and my PC wasn't recognizing either anymore after I upgraded to Leopard. This sounds crazy but this is what I just did right now in order to get it mounted:

1. I just plugged in the external, it started up and was spinning.
    2. Went to System Preferences, then to Startup Disk and clicked Target Disk Mode (even though the MyBook is usb only).
    3. Computer restarted and I guess was looking for the firewire drive which of course does not exist.
    4. Hit the power button so the computer would restart normally.
    5. Leopard boots up and my external shows up mounted with all my data in tact still!

Don't know if this will continue working since I just did it right now but hopefully it works for you.

6. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

Years ago I had an external USB 1.1 Iomega 10GB drive and it never ever worked right and I always had this problem. I'd have to turn it off and power cycle it a few times before it would get recognized in 9.2.2. and 10.0.3. I've never used an Iomega since.

7. Kenya thread starter macrumors regular

Kenya

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it a few times with no luck. A lot of people are having this problem so hopefully it will be fixed soon.