External Hard drive enclosure advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djejrejk, Nov 12, 2007.

1. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I am searching for a nice external enclosure for my old macbook pro hard drive. I have checked out OWC and they offer these two drive enclosures. I like the design of these, however, 1 has a usb interface, and the other is very expensive and has a fw800 interface. I want a case that will allow me to boot (so I need a firewire interface) and cost less than 89$.

For 89$, I can purchase a new 160gb usb drive.

Has anyone found a decent "small" 2.5 sata enclosure with a FW (USB would be nice as well, but im not picky) interface that is more affordable i.e. < $50 ?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Assuming you want to boot the MBP, not an older PPC machine, a USB enclosure will work. All Intel Macs can boot from USB as well as Firewire...

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

why not buy a combo (harddrive plus enclosure) and just put in the hd of the newly bought external in your mbp and the old one into the enclosure?

would probably be a good deal in my opinion.

4. djejrejk thread starter macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Yes, the mac in question is my MacBook pro. Excellent! I had no clue. Are you sure about this?

I don't want to rip a new drive apart and (this is sad) I have too many drives in my life. I actually need to trash a few.