External hard drive enclosure decision?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andymac85, Sep 16, 2007.

1. andymac85 macrumors newbie

Well, I've decided I want maximum compatibility, so I'm going for a quad interface enclosure (eSATA, USB 2.0, FW 400/800). It will be used with different machines: my PC, my G4, random G5s, and random MacPros. I've pretty much narrowed it down to this one (maybe w/o the software -$10) and this one.

Both have the Oxford 924 Chipset, priced about the same, etc. Only real difference is looks, the miniStack can serve as a USB hub, and the minStack doesn't come with the eSATA cable (which isn't a big deal as I don't even have an eSATA card at the moment).

Really, I'm looking for anyone w/experience with either of these.

It'll be paired to a 500GB(for now) SATA 3.0Gb/s drive (another decision I have to make).

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Hudgie macrumors member

I don't have experience with the V3, but the Ministack v2 is very good, with a fan taht only goes on when needed, etc.

3. andymac85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided on the OWC model, paired with the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s.

Have yet to hook it up through eSATA, but it flies on firewire 800.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've got the Mercury Pro AL with a triple interface, and I like it much better than my Mercury Pro enclosures.

5. jhkingsr macrumors regular