External hard drive enclosure for late 2012 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by getastro, Feb 27, 2013.

1. getastro macrumors newbie

Hello there all, I bought a Imac 27" I7 on Feb 20th. It should get to me sometime around March 20-27. It is going to replace my 2006 Mac Pro. Now the question in hand is, I have a total of 4 drives in my mac now. I would like to use 2-3 of them in an external hard drive enclosure on the iMac. It's going by JBOD and would like usb 3.0 speeds. I have searched this site and many more for the best enclosure, but have read problems with imac's and usb 3.0 enclosures . So I wanted to see what you are running if you have a external hard drive enclosure. Just wanted to order it before the imac gets here. Thanks

2. phoenixsan, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

3. phoenixsan, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have a total of 4 drives in my mac now. I would like to use 2-3 of them in an external hard drive enclosure on the iMac. It's going by JBOD and would like usb 3.0 speeds."

Have you considered a "dual-bay" USB3/SATA docking station?

Or even 2 "single-bay" docks?

With 4 drives, having 2 "docking stations" available would give you the ability to easily swap drives around as needed.

To get the best speeds, get something with either an
    ASMedia 1051e controller chip
    or an
    ASMedia 1053 controller chip.

Either should give you UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for faster performance on UASP capable systems.

Here's a plugable.com single-bay dock:
    http://plugable.com/products/USB3-SATA-U3