External Hard Drive Enclosure for Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kritzmire, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Kritzmire macrumors member

Kritzmire

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

for a single drive, USB3 will give you about the same performance as thunderbolt, and will be cheaper and easier to find. (some great sales on them this weekend)
    The limiting factor here, is the speed of the drive itself.

If you go RAID or SSD, you may see some speed gain with going thunderbolt. depending on the speed of the disk.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

There are currently NO single 3.5 inch drive enclosures with Thunderbolt. You can get LaCie external drives with Thunderbolt but they only have a single thunderbolt port, which means you would have to put them at the end of any thunderbolt daisy chain.

You *could* pull the drive from your current firewire enclosure and put it into something like this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/METB7DK0GB/

and put another drive into the 2nd bay so you have two backup drives...

Your cheapest option is to just get the thunderbolt to firewire adapter... I have one I've been using since May 2013 without any problems. Of course, you are then limited to the speed of firewire 800. With a proper thunderbolt enclosure, you'll get closer to 150/180MB/sec per drive.

4. Kritzmire thread starter macrumors member

Kritzmire

Thanks, I think I may just get an adapter for now.
    I don't mind speed as I use this as a time-machine backup, and generally just back it up once a week while I'm not using my computer.
    In the future I will probably get an enclosure for my hd that is just thunderbolt.