External Hard Drive Error Code: -50

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gt2697, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gt2697 macrumors newbie

I have an external 3TB Toshiba drive hooked up to my Time Capsule that is accessed by multiple Mac and PC machines on my network. I'm running 10.6.6 on all Macs and the drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

It's a media drive and I'm always reading and writing to and from it. All was working fine and I had no problems until around the end of the year. Now, the error "The operation can’t be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -50)." (also attached) appears while trying to modify or write to the drive. All read activity is normal.

Basically, I can still view/read files on the drive and play content, but when I attempt to transfer items to it, the error rears it's head. If I try to copy any file over using the Finder or empty the trash with files from that drive, I get the -50 code and alert.

A restart will fix the problem for a little while but then it returns after 30 minutes or so.

I've verified and repaired the disk via disk utility, and that didn't yield any results.

I've not seen much in the way of solutions out there, so I'm hoping there is someone on here who has seen a similar issue and knows of a fix. I'd rather not move the nearly 3TB of data off of it and reformat if there is a better way.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. tjcmac macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue

Did you find a fix?

3. jameskachan macrumors member

Same problem

Hey, your problem sounds very similar to my own.

I am curious, how do you connect your drive?
    I am using an HDD dock — a white dual bay NexStar (by Vantec) top loading harddrive dock. — the dock is connected via USB 2.0.
    It seems to produce problems regardless if a single bay or both bays are taken up.

Just as yours, it works for a time then stops writing to the drive and it refuses to unmount, or clear the trash. Files remain readable and I get the same Error -50 you do. When I try to unmount, I get told that files are in use though there are no applications or files in use.

I am wondering if youre using a HDD dock as well?

- James

4. the Otter macrumors member

Same Problem

I have a 1.5GB Seagate Barracuda. It’s a SATA drive in a Macally PHR-S100SUA eSATA/Firewire/USB2 enclosure. (Unless I have reason to do otherwise, I hook it up via Firewire.)

Is anyone else out there daisy-chaining drives? My problem disk is generally the third or fourth in the chain. Please let me know if you’ve got any info!

5. plecto macrumors newbie

Same problem

I'm experiencing the same problem on an external UDB HD with 250GB of capacity, formatted NTFS. I'm using NTFS-3G on Mac OSX 10.5.8.
    Could it be a problem caused by this software?
    Anyone found any solution?