External Hard Drive failure (Solved)

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Hi,

i have a external hard drive that is NTFS that won't mount it just appears in disk utility after some time connected.
I have Paragon NTFS to read it.

I can't get it to read on both Mac and Windows. (doesn't mount can't do a chkdsk)

I have tried Data Rescue to try to fix it but it gives me this error:

http://www.prosofteng.com/docs/Data-Rescue-3-Users-Guide/pages/drivefailure.htm

Diskwarrior just freezes when i connect the drive.

Is the drive really gone?
It's really not worth to pay to get it fixed, is there something else i could do?

Thanks.

Solution

i sort of solved it...
i only did this because the files where not important.

i still had the option to format the drive with disk utility, so i did and was able to use data rescue to scan for deleted files, witch i didn't do because it would take 400 hours (the drive is very slow about to fail)

it was recovering files.

hope this helps someone with important files.

Last edited:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I noticed if the external enclosure cannot support the required power to the drive, it'll cause the same errors. I have an external hard drive that require a little bit more power than one of my enclosures can handle and every time I plug it in, it gives an error similar to yours. However, if I plug it into another enclosure, it works fine.

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
the drive has worked perfectly fine before on the same enclosure for a long time.
i have tried other enclosures and got the same error.

pinkgimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
i sort of solved it...
i only did this because the files where not important.

i still had the option to format the drive with disk utility, so i did and was able to use data rescue to scan for deleted files, witch i didn't do because it would take 400 hours (the drive is very slow about to fail)

it was recovering files.

hope this helps someone with important files.