External Hard-drive files not displayed in finder;

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mediocrefuzz, Dec 26, 2011.

1. mediocrefuzz macrumors newbie

Right, i've got a new hard-drive, i've partitioned it to 400gb for Time Machine and 600gb for media files etc.

The Time Machine partition is in "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)" format and the other partition is "MS-DOS (FAT32)".

When I open up the Time Machine partition in Finder it doesn't display my backups. No folders or nothing. I have a movies folder on the media partition and it displays the folder but nothing inside that folder. But if I go in iTunes and 'add to library' it shows up everything in that folder.

Does anyone know why I can't access my files via finder? Is it due to the fact one partition is Mac OS Extendend and the other MS-DOS?

2. mediocrefuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that?

I've just tried 'repair disk' and it came up with an error "Error: Couldn't unmount disk".

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I posted a link to the instructions. Did you click and read?

4. mediocrefuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

As if I didn't see that, ha thanks.

----------

And it didn't work. It just has a spinning wheel in the status bar at the bottom of the Finder window.

Could it be that the two partitions are of a different format setting?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you followed those instructions, it's likely still indexing. You have to let it finish.

6. mediocrefuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Righto, well i'll just come back to it later on then.

7. mediocrefuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Next day has come and still no change. The 'Movies' folder is there but nothing in it. But if I go to 'add to library' in iTunes and go to that folder all the files are there. It's strange.

----------

Nevermind, all is sorted. Restarting my mac never crossed my mind until now. And it is all working.

Thanks.