External Hard Drive - Folder Behaviour

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by JWLD91, Nov 5, 2015.

1. JWLD91 macrumors newbie

I recently set up a Seagate 2TB Expansion Hard Drive with my 2012 retina macbook pro, which is running El Capitan.

When I try and organise files into folders on the hard drive, it seems to want to create a copy of the file, rather than just moving it into the folder. I have another Seagate hard drive which I bought a few years ago which behaves normally, and just lets me move files around without copying the whole thing.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for this? I've tried to find a dedicated Seagate help forum but there doesn't seem to be one...!

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

How are the drives formatted? You can find out in the Disk Utility.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The drive make doesn't define such behaviour, check how you have formatted it, it IS a single volume yes?

4. JWLD91 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only difference I can see is that the new drive says "Owners: Enabled" rather than "Owners: Disabled" - would this have any effect?

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yes I would think so, haven't come across that myself but it certainly sounds like it has the ability to influence the behaviour you are seeing, try changing it?

6. JWLD91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Turns out it was just a matter of enabling read & write privileges via Finder > Get Info :)