External Hard Drive for mac and PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nyaos, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Nyaos macrumors newbie

I have a custom PC and a MacBook. I use my MacBook for everything like word processing, web browsing, and light photo editing.

I use my Windows desktop for gaming and more demanding tasks.

I often download large files to my MacBook, 4-10GB in size. I want to use an external hard drive to transfer over the files to my PC, but my hard drives are formated in FAT32 and do not allow files over a certain size to be written I think.

Is the solution to format in NTFS? And if it is, how do I do that? I don't want to burn to DVDs. Right now I transfer the data over a LAN but it takes a long time due to WiFi.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

NTFS can be read by osx but not written unless you use addons like macfuse (I think is the name). HFS (OSx native) can be read by windows with add-ons. To format to ntfs you'd have to copy all the files somewhere temporarily as format will wipe the data.

3. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

MacFUSE and NTFS-3G, both Free.

Need to be pretty careful about safely removing, or unmounting the drive if you use a certain version of it. Read up on it or wait til someone who remembers more details than I do posts.