External Hard Drive for MAC

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hunnyberry, Aug 31, 2013.

1. hunnyberry macrumors newbie

I tried buying a Seagate HD yesterday but apparently, its not compatible with my MBA. I love Seagate because of its sleek design and affordable price. Does Seagate make an HD just for MAC? What other brands can you recommend?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It is. Go into Disk Utility and Format it to Mac Extended Journaled.

3. flowrider, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I'm running a Seagate Hybrid (Fusion) 500GB 2.5" drive right now on my Air. I have it in an Orico USB3 enclosure. It is my main drive when I am using my Air in a stationary place. I only use the internal drive when I'm on the go. But, as said above, it needs to be formatted for the Mac.

BTW, who told you the drive was not compatible? I know of no SSD, HDD, or SSHD in a proper USB enclosure that is not compatable with a Macintosh.

Lou

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Some "helpful" person probably told you it was not compatible because it was formatted in NTFS--easy to fix as was mentioned by reformatting it with Disk Utility. :)

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Personally, I never buy canned drives because if they fail under warranty, you have to send it in for repair. More often than not, the drive is fine but the controller fails. If you buy a separate enclosure and hard drive, then assemble them, if a problem arises you can quickly diagnose it without sending the parts in.

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^I've bought both. The only failures I've had was with LaCie drives. They used to be good, now - not so much.

Lou

7. bdrake47 macrumors regular

Seagate USB drives work just fine on Mac. As stated, it needs to be formatted to HFS for Mac, or to FAT if you want to use it on Windoze and Mac without messing with drivers.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

exFat. FAT has a 4GB partition size limit. FAT32 has a 2TB limit. exFAT is newer and better if you are using Vista or higher.

9. bdrake47 macrumors regular

;) Oops, I presumed the OP would use his MBA to format. Yes, exFAT, the last option listed, not [MS-DOS]FAT for cross-platform compatibility.

I recently purchased a couple Toshiba portable drives, they came formatted NTFS but with an OS X driver pre-loaded. I re-formatted one, and using the other as is, haven't seen any noticeable difference at all.

10. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Bought seagate backup plus 1TB and really love it, made 500gb for time machine, 500gb fat for smart tv, windows and mac file sharing

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not sure if you're aware, but you can format exFat on the Mac too.

12. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I went with 2TB WD My Passport, set up 2 partitions, 250GB for Time Machine (encrypted), the rest as exFAT for stuff like movies.

13. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I really like using the G-Drive Mini. They are small, bus powered and perform well on USB3 and Firewire 800. I get an average of 125MB/s for both Read and Write on USB3 and about 98MB/s on Firewire 800.

They travel well with my 2013 MacBook Air 11" Ultimate and take up such little space.

With 1TB of space, it gives me enough storage when "I need to have almost all of my data with me".

Attached Files:

14. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

Whoops, I posted the older model's ports that only have USB2.

Here is the newer one with USB3, that I am using.

Attached Files: