Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyboston5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Help recently invested in the following: Mac pro+I Pad in the last 12 months.
I think i am looking for a 1tb which is compatible with the above.
My children suggested the above kit!
Not techy minded but would appreciate some help.Spare capacity would be for Photos and Video.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Being a.....

Mac Pro owner and because you dont stated use of any USB 3.0 card, I can rule out that and Thunderbolt. So, we have FireWire and USB 2.2 maybe. For better compatibility with the ocasional Windoze machine, I would go with any external with USB 2.2 Brands like Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba come to my mind. Want to get FireWire and USB 2.2.....?.....Do a tour in Newegg, some options available.....:D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

:):apple:

Last edited:

keehansen

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
we go.we have FireWire and USB 2.2 maybe. For better compatibility with the ocasional Windoze machine,
8v

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Here is a portable HardDrive I was thinking of buying. My guess is that it has been formatted to NTFS. IIRC you can't read or write (or is it just write) to NTFS with a mac without a 3rd party SW like Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Anyway- link here: https://slickdeals.net/deals/external-drive/

Some tips if you want to go this way ($20 + Shipping for 1TB is a mind blowing deal).
1) Read the First Post (OP)
2) MAKE SURE YOUR READ THE WIKI (right below the OP) A FEW TIMES. This deal involves rebates and a subscription which CAN be cancelled (if you have a prepaid debit card (like a VISA GC or something) than you can use that as long as it has a $1 on it or something)... But if you read the wiki and follow the steps you can make sure that you won't get charged (by cancelling subscription).
3) Don't forget to go through a cashback site. Discover = 5% cashback.
4) You will be submitting two rebates (= each rebate goes in separate envelope)

If you do go this way, I highly suggest you create an account and post if you have questions over there, but I'll be here to also help out :)

My suggestion would be to make this a 'throwaway' HD since it's cheap... invest in something a little more expensive (like a well known External Desktop Hard Drive (not portable) and get this too... Since this is portable, you can take it with you everywhere.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
assuming you are in boston, you could try visiting a Staples store too: the following items are on clearance, and your stores may/may not have it stock (since it's been clearanced around this price before)... I suggest you go in stores and ask them to check availability in that store and other stores... someone somewhere might just have one in the back.
Happy Hunting, and Good Luck:

Format:
~SKU - Product Name / Price ~
~366760 - WD MY PASSPORT MAC 1TB /29.50~
~757080 - SEAGATE BACKUP PLUS MAC 500GB / 25.50~

(credit goes to xjoegrizzly on fatwallet)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.