External hard drive for my new rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by memko, Sep 5, 2012.

1. memko, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

memko macrumors member

Currently I have 3 options :
    1. Seagate Expansion Portable Hard Drive
    2. Seagate 2.5" Free agent GoFlex Usb3.0
    3. western digital My passport essential USB 3.0/2.0 2.5"

So What's the differences? which is better ? They all have the same 100$ price tag for the1 TB version . Any input or other recommendations are much appreciated.

EDIT: another option emerged :
    1. IOMEGA PRESTIGE

2. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I can only speak for the 1TB USB 3.0 Seagate 2.5" external drive, paid £79 for it and it works like a dream, 100MB/s.

3. memko thread starter macrumors member

seems great . How about its durability ?

4. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Both Seagate and Western Digital make quality drives. All drives will eventually fail and both have their share of failures or bad drives, both companies have fans and the comparison posts usually end up in a bunch of back and forth over individual experiences.

Ultimately I'd suggest buying either of these but be sure you do it from someone with a good, flexible and easy return policy should you need to return it in the event of getting a Dead on Arrival or faulty drive.

I've had both and to me, there isn't much of a difference in the actual drives generally. I usually choose the one with the best features or expandability.

The go-flex are nice, but you could end up shelling out another $99 for a Thunderbolt adapter so I don't think it's really worth it for that reason alone.

5. memko thread starter macrumors member

GOFLEX is it.That was Very enlightening .Thanks you

6. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Theyre all great, I have digital passport, amazing features with the HD, and high security, But I removed all that because I reformatted it into Ex-Fat when I got it so it could be compatible with both macs and windows easily :D Ex fat is the way to go :)
    Dont forget to re format which ever HD you get before you use it :)

If you only use macs then do the mac thingy if you need to use on all operating systems you should use ex-fat works like a charm but ex fat doesnt work on ps3/xbox/dvd player etc, only laptops and comps

7. memko thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much :). I'm planing to divide it into 2 partitions one with HFS+ and the other with NTFS for much greater compatibility .Thanks again .

8. Bilalo macrumors 6502

That works as well but ex fat allows you to utilize the whole terra for both OS, i think its better because maybe you need 600-400 or something sometimes so and you cant copy things from your ma to ntfs so you wont be able to copy yhings to your windows from mac or mac go windows so care.

9. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

As good as any platter drive I guess, just don't drop it.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Seagate has the best reliability and quality hands down. They move to new capacities slower than Western Digital because they take the time ensure it performs reliably. I have friends who work at both companies and they both say Seagate is tad better than Western Digital.