External hard drive for older mac 10.3.1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkasz, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jkasz macrumors newbie

Is there an external hard drive that uses a firewire 1.0 connection out there that can be purchased to back up photos and music from an older desktop mac?

2. utkillsall macrumors newbie

nothing currently out, your going to have to try to find an external hard drive that was out while 10.3 was out

3. petemwah macrumors regular

if by firewire 1 you mean firewire 400 then yes there are plenty available! i use a lacie myself, they still make ones with firewire interfaces, or do you mean USB1?

4. jkasz thread starter macrumors newbie

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

[​IMG]

6. utkillsall macrumors newbie

hey tard, there is nothing currently out in stores that will do it...i work with macs day in and day out, and i actually had someone ask me this exact same question the other day and when we were looking it up we found very few hd's even online that were compatible with panther

7. petemwah macrumors regular

relax! why are you calling him a tard mate? when you answered it, you did so answering FIREWIRE 1, which doesn't even exist, so think twice before insulting people buddy.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Any USB 2.0 external drive will work because USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with the USB 1.1 standard.

Now that being said, be aware that it will be extremely slow (as if USB 2.0 wasn't slow enough) but it will work fine technically.

If you share what desktop model it is we may be able to make other more reasonable recommendations.

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks.

I should have offered some helpful advice to the OP myself by now but thought I'd leave it a while for our resident expert's pearls of wisdom to sink in :rolleyes:

USB 1.1 mass storage device support has been in the Mac OS since 8.6 and OS X 10.0 (actually since the Public Beta and OS X Server 1.0 to get really pedantic IIRC). USB 2 support came in with 10.2.8 Jaguar.

I agree it would be helpful if the OP let us know what Mac he needs to copy data off.