External Hard Drive for Time Machine Backup's

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marc55, Nov 13, 2013.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I just watched a video on YouTube on how to use Time Machine, and the guy used a Western Digital My Passport for Mac.

Question is do I have to use an external drive made specifically for MAC, or will any external HD do the job?

Thank you

2. lexvo macrumors 65816

Yes, any external HD will do, no need to buy a special "Mac version".

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Anything will work. You'll just need to go into Disk Utility and erase the drive using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" first.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Any drive is good. You just need to partition it to GUID scheme and format to HFS+ Journaled filesystem in Disk Utility before trying to use it for TM.

5. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

One more question:

My son has a MBA and I want to give him an external HD for Christmas with all the family pictures on it.

The drive will be something like a WD "My Passport", and I will load the jpeg files from my windows based PC.

Will he have any problems copying them onto his MBA?

I figure after he copies them to his MBA, he can then "go into Disk Utility and erase the drive using "Mac OS Extended" which I guess formats the drive for Mac usage?

Thank you

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've had trouble with a Toshiba Connivo drive going into power save mode and not waking up for Time Machine. Don't have that problem with a Seagate. I would go with either the WD or Seagate. Any backup drive is better than none.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No problem at all. You can format in the native Windows NTFS format and the Mac will be able to read but not write to the disk. Or you can format the drive to ExFAT which the Mac and Windows machine can read and write to.

8. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

According to this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23559252#23559252, there is an issue between Mavericks and ExFat; sounds like ExFat will not work with Mavericks?

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Dunno. I use exFAT constantly on my thumbdrives. So far no probs in Maverics.
    PS You won't be able to make TM backups to exFAT drive!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe the issue in that thread is the WD software many Mavs users have had problems with, and not Mavs itself.

Same here... I am using ExFAT on a USB key under Mavs with no issue.